Thursday, February 9, 2017

Date Night Dresses (5 Under $50)



Hello, beautiful! Sorry for the awkward silence on the blog lately - as some of you who follow me on social media may have noticed, life has gotten in the way. Between personal problems, falling behind on schoolwork and getting sick this past week, I just haven't been able to scrape together the moxie to put together a quality blog post.

But, the most important thing is that I'm here now! I'm doing a lot better dealing with my personal life and academics now, though that cough of mine has still got me flying through tissues and cough drops like crazy. I'm currently bundled up in my dorm room expecting a crazy snowstorm, so I thought what better time to get back on a regular blogging schedule than now?!

This weekend, I'm looking forward to celebrating an early Valentine's Day with my one true love (if you didn't get the chance to meet Ryan a couple of weeks ago, you can check out that post here!). So, since I've got date night on the brain, I thought it would be a great topic for my latest 5 Under $50!

I know not everyone likes to get dressed up and go out on Valentine's Day, but a classic dinner date is always me and Ryan's tradition for special occasions. When we do go out, I love putting on a dress that makes me feel feminine and beautiful.

To me, going through the whole process of getting dressed up, putting on makeup, doing my hair and slipping into a brand-new dress makes me feel twenty times sexier and more confident. As someone with anxiety, I weirdly find that the ritual of getting ready helps me ease some of my nerves prior to an important occasion like Valentine's Day.

Some people might think that it's vain to care so much about your appearance. However, I'm a firm believer that there's an important connection between the way we look and the way we feel. When I feel good about the way I look, somehow that helps me feel better about myself as a person, too!

Anyways, that was a long introductory rant, but my point is simply while I'm not saying you need to get dressed up and have a fancy Valentine's dinner if you don't want to (some people like staying in and that's okay!), getting dressed up makes me feel good. And since it makes me feel good, I thought I'd spread some of the love and share five of my favorite date night dress picks under $50.

Let's get started!


 

Lady Love Song Velvet Dress in Merlot 


Even though it's been around for awhile, the velvet trend only really started to grow on me recently. I especially love a crushed red velvet when it comes to dresses. This dress from Modcloth stood out to me as particularly unique because of its structure. It's not often you see a velvet dress that can hug a figure like this one. The best part? The sizes on this dress run all the way up to a 4X, so you can enjoy its sexy shape no matter how bangin' your curves! Regardless of your size, I promise your Valentine won't be able to keep his eyes (or his hands) off you all night. Get it from Modcloth for $49.99 (50% off its original price!).



Kate Lace Maxi Dress


In contrast to the sexy wine-colored number I showed previously, this dress offers a much softer take on Valentine's Day. Personally, I love a good maxi dress, but they're always too long on me - I'm only 5'1" so I'm naturally jealous of people who can pull of this trend! The amazing thing about this dress is that it's long, flowy and feminine - yet without looking like the dress you wore to your senior prom way back in high school. The soft, breathable material and pastel shade keep it appropriate for the restaurant, while its length and subtle sophistication scream elegance and maturity (in a good way, of course!). Get it from ASOS for 20 pounds (on sale - about 25 U.S. dollars!).




Tip the Scallops Black Dress


As Audrey Hepburn might say, you can never go wrong with a little black dress! I chose this one for its clean lines and classic silhouette, which reminded me of something straight out of Breakfast at Tiffany's. The scallop-trimmed neckline adds a little pizzaz, while the quarter-length sleeves leave just enough to the imagination. This dress might seem a bit more casual than the rest of my Valentine's Day picks; however, it would be perfect for a fun and flirty ice cream date, or spending a night in cooking dinner at home. Get it from Lulu's for $46. 




Bib Neck Shift Dress


I. LOVE. THIS. DRESS. A bib neck has been my go-to favorite trend lately, and I just adore the flowy, boho silhouette - I feel like my style has definitely been gravitating more in that direction as I've gotten older! For Valentine's Day, this dress just screams "special occasion," without making you seem too fussy or constraining you like a Victorian-era corset. As a girl who likes to order the appetizer and the dessert at dinner, I can really appreciate the comfortable fit of a gorgeous shift dress like this one. Plus, as an added bonus, this dress is available in a bunch of colors - they aren't all listed on the same page, but try typing "bib neck shift dress" into the search bar - as well as plus sizes! Get it from Charlotte Russe for $39.99.






Defined to Refine Lace Dress in Black


Modcloth struck a hit again with this beautiful lace number - unsurprisingly, since it's one of my favorite stores. (On a side note, I just got a kind of big order from them with my dresses for rush - let me know in the comments if you're interested in a haul!) This gorgeous dress is lacy and feminine, without seeming too matrons. The adorable bow detail cinches your waist for a defined silhouette, while the sheer sleeves allow you to cover up and stay warm while still showing off your beautiful bod. With a bold lip, colorful shoes and some statement jewelry, this one-of-a-kind vintage pick can become trendy and brand-new for your special night. Get it from Modcloth for $38.99 (which, holy sh*t, is 70% off!).  



So, those were my five picks for date night dresses perfect for special occasions - like Valentine's Day! I hope you all enjoy your holiday and get to spend it with someone you love. Even if you're single right now, I encourage you all to appreciate your favorite gal pals as well as the significant others in your life - oh, and don't forget to show yourself some love and self-care, too! Whether it's treating yourself to some half-price chocolates at the store, buying yourself flowers or taking a luxurious bubble bath with some Valentine's-scented goodies, the single most important person you can take the time to appreciate this Valentine's Day is, you guessed, it: you! 

I hope you all loved this post and will let these trends to inspire you when your shopping for your latest date night ensemble! Since that's all for my latest 5 Under $50 post, don't forget to comment what you'd like to see in the next edition. Whether it's something to do with fashion, beauty, books or something completely different, I would absolutely LOVE to hear your ideas for what direction this series should go next! Until then, happy Valentine's Day, loves - no matter what, you will always be my special Gal-entines.



Want more 5 Under $50 from Haley Marie? Sign up for my monthly newsletter!

* indicates required