Thursday, March 9, 2017

The Ride or Die Makeup Tag



Disclaimer: All of the opinions expressed in this post are my own. 
I was not compensated for this post in any way.

Hello, beautiful! I haven't done a beauty post in awhile, so I thought I'd tackle the Ride or Die Makeup Tag once and for all.

The Ride or Die Makeup Tag is something I've been seeing around Pinterest, YouTube, and the rest of the web for awhile now. This tag was started by Jaclyn Hill, a YouTuber and beauty blogger, and you can check out her original post here!

In case you aren't familiar with this tag, here's how the challenge works: for each "category" of makeup (foundation, concealer, lipstick, lip gloss, etc.), you can only choose ONE "Ride or Die" product to save. Basically, you just have to ask yourself "If I was on a desert island and could only have ONE foundation/concealer/lipstick/etc. with me, which product from my beauty bag would I want to take?"

Hopefully I'm not just being overconfident, but I think this challenge will be fairly easy for me! While I love, love, LOVE makeup and beauty products, I'm not the kind of person who buys a ton of products. Instead, I tend to have my favorites that I get attached to and keep re-buying over and over and over again. So, even though you won't get the benefit of watching me suffer and struggle over which products to select (sorry, guys - I'm actually hella boring), I'm super excited to share some of those favorites with you now!

Ride or Die Makeup

FACE 


Foundation


L'Oreal True Match Foundation in Soft Ivory: L'Oreal's True Match is unique from any other foundation I've tried simply because of the sheer number of shades that it offers. Don't get me wrong: the texture is great; it blends amazingly - but the thing that truly sets it apart from any other product I've tried is the incredible number of shades for cool, warm, and neutral skin tones alike. Until I found this product, I felt like every foundation I used was too yellow for my skin tone - and then I found out that L'Oreal makes this foundation for people with neutral undertones like me! So, if you have a hard-to-match skin tone, check out L'Oreal's line of True Match foundations. You won't regret it, I promise! Get it for $9.99 from Ulta.


Concealer


Benefit Boi-ing Concealer in 01 Light: This concealer is marketed as "industrial strength," which is exactly the reason why I bought it in the first place. To be honest, I wasn't sure when I read that label that the product would live up to what it promised - but it totally did! That's why Benefit's Boi-ing Concealer makes my list of Ride or Dies, no questions asked: its creamy, thick formula can cover everything from a huge, red zit to the darkest of dark circles. Get it for $20.00 from Sephora.


Blush/Bronzer


e.l.f. Contouring Blush & Bronzing Powder in St. Lucia: As you can see, my Ride or Die list is a mixed bag of drugstore and high-end beauty products alike - and e.l.f.'s St. Lucia blush and bronzer duo is definitely one of the drugstore rockstars! This product is subtle, shimmery, and flattering on almost any skintone. Though I've never used it before so I can't compare the two, I've even heard that this product is a perfect dupe for NARS's famous Orgasm blush. And, at just $4.00, you seriously cannot beat that price! Get it for $3.99 from Target.


Foundation Primer


Smashbox Photo Finish Primer: Admittedly, I rarely use a primer, except on special occasions or really hot, sweaty days when I worry my makeup might melt right off my face. However, on those occasions when I do, Smashbox's Photo Finish Primer is the absolute best product for helping stubborn makeup stay put. The best part? It goes on clear and light, without that greasy, oily finish that's seemingly ubiquitous among so many foundation primers. Get it for $16.00 from Nordstrom.


EYES


Eyeshadow Primer

Too Faced Shadow Insurance Primer: Much like foundation primer, I don't often use an eye primer unless it's a special occasion or a hot summer day; however, on the days that I do use this product, I definitely notice a difference in the pigmentation and longevity of my eye makeup! Too Faced Shadow Insurance Primer ensures (see what I did there?) that your eyeshadow will stay put through thick and thin. I swear, on the days I use this product I could walk to hell and back, come back with half the rest of my makeup melted off, and still my eyeshadow wouldn't budge. Get it for $20.00 from Too Faced.


Eyeshadow Palette

Too Faced Natural Eyes Eye Shadow Collection: (I forgot to include this product in the graphic, sadly!) Unpopular opinion time: I know everyone loves to rave about the Naked Palettes, but I'm the proud owner of three of them - the Naked 3 palette, and Naked Basics 1 and 2 - and although I love them, I'll never love them as much as I love my Too Faced Natural Eyes palette. These shadows go on kind of sheer, so if you're more into an ultra-pigmented finish, I can see why you'd prefer the Naked palettes. However,  I love the way they blend and last throughout my entire day - even without primer on, the glitter stays firmly put on my eyelids (as opposed to gravitating down my cheeks)! Get it for $36.00 from Sephora. P.S. If you want to see exactly which shades I use, check out this post about my weekly beauty routine. 

Eyeliner


Kat Von D Tattoo Liner: Since a sultry cat eye is my all-time FAVORITE makeup look, I've tried a fair number of liquid liners in my day. After so many experiments in drugstore and high-end liners alike, I can say with confidence that this product is one of the best liquid liners I've ever used. If you like a pen liner (as opposed to a brush or a gel or something like that), then you'll love how rich and creamy this product is to apply! It helps you achieve that precise line without being watery or prone to smudging. And, as someone who's better at drawing with pen and paper than she is with eyeliner, I find it to be such a simple product to maneuver! Overall, this liner gets a 10 out of 10 from me - and, of course, a coveted spot in my Ride or Die makeup kit. Get it for $20.00 from Sephora. 


Mascara

BareMinerals Lash Domination Mascara: I've used the same tube of this mascara for so long, it's probably unhygienic TBH - but I love it so much, I just can't bear to throw it out! Honestly, I can barely tell the difference between most formulas of mascara, but there's just something about this one that sets it apart - it's not too thin, not too clumpy, not too dark. It's juuuuust right for my lashes! However, the wand is what truly makes this product as luscious and volumizing as it is. The wand separates every last lash, preventing your mascara from clumping and lengthening with every stroke. Get it for $19.00 from Ulta.


Eyebrow Pencil

Anastasia Brow Wiz Pencil in Taupe: I fully realize that by including this in my Ride or Die post, I'm solidifying myself as another basic beauty blogger - but if I'm being completely honest, there's just no way around it: Anastasia's brow products are simply the best ones out there. Of every brow pencil I've tried, nothing has compared to the subtle pigmentation and precise lines that I've gotten with the Anastasia Brow Wiz pencil. Not to be overly-dramatic, but this product was seriously what converted me from someone who never did her brows, to someone who can't go out without them filled. Get it for $21.00 from Sephora.


LIPS


Lipstick

e.l.f. Moisturizing Lipstick in Bordeaux Beauty: Okay, so in my last post about this product, I was utterly convinced that it's true name was Bordeaux Berry. Having realized the error of my ways, I'm now going to do the product the justice it deserves! This lipstick was one of my Christmas presents from Ryan, and I was super excited to open it because I've been dying to try the vampy lipstick trend. Before this product, red lipstick was my go-to; however, I'd long admired the sexy, glamorous look of a dark, Lorde-style lip and couldn't wait to see how it looked on me! I was pleasantly surprised to find that this lipstick was the perfect blend of purply and reddish tones, perfectly complementing my pale skin. Also, it's worth mentioning that this lipstick, while creamy and hydrating, doesn't seem to budge no matter what you do! You can eat, kiss, drink, and while a little lipstick might transfer onto your fork, partner, or glass, the pigment on your lips will remain virtually unaltered. For just $3.00, this product is both an investment and a steal! Get it for $3.00 from e.l.f. Cosmetics. 


Liquid Lipstick

Stila Stay-All-Day Liquid Lipstick in Beso: It's probably cheating to go from lipstick to liquid lipstick, but since they're technically two different things, I'm rolling with it anyways! I love, love, LOVE this product - it's the best red lip I have ever worn (and, dare I say, will ever wear). It was the first liquid lipstick I ever tried, not to mention the first shade of red I ever dared put on. I quickly fell in love with its long-lasting formula, which - much like the e.l.f. Moisturizing Lipstick - WILL NOT BUDGE no matter what abuses you inflict on it! Also, it's my personal belief that this shade of red is ultra-flattering on every skin tone: it's not too orangey and without bluish undertones, so it's more of what you might call a "true red." Get it for $24.00 from Ulta.


Lip Balm

Fresh Sugar Lip Balm in Rose: I have been using this product for about five years, ever since I first stepped foot into a Sephora. It was my first-ever free birthday gift as a Beauty Insider, and it was probably one of my first-ever "empties" - and for good reason. I've been using this product since I was thirteen not because I'm a creature of habit (though that may be true), but because there's nothing out there that compares to it. The formula is creamy and hydrating, and the sheer rose hue is the perfect "my lips but better" lip color. In my opinion, this lip balm and a little bit of mascara are all you'll ever need for those days when you don't want a full face of makeup. Get it for $24.00 from Sephora.


Lip Gloss

Naked Ultra Nourishing Lip Gloss in Nooner: Apparently, every lip gloss I've ever owned and loved has been renamed, because the one that I have (from the limited-edition "Naked on the Run" palette) is named "Sesso." However, Nooner is pretty much the same gorgeous shade. This shade is one of those perfect "my lips but better" colors - which I've been saying a lot lately, I know; but I much prefer a natural look to a glam one, so it works - that comes with a little hint of shimmer. It's hydrating and long-wearing, without drying up in that gross way that lip glosses often do. Plus, it has an almost minty aftertaste that leaves you feeling so fresh that you'll want to keep reapplying it all throughout the day! Get it for $20.00 from Nordstrom.


Lip Exfoliator

e.l.f. Lip Exfoliator: Admittedly, lip exfoliator is a bit of a weird category for this challenge. However, I just discovered this product recently, and absolutely cannot get over how incredible it is! This product smooths, shines and hydrates your lips like no other. It's gritty but never abrasive, simple to use and, most importantly (to me at least!), it has an AH-MAZING taste. Just like brown sugar! Get it for $3.00 from e.l.f. Cosmetics.


SCENTS


Body Spray

Bath and Body Works Beautiful Day Fine Fragrance Mist: This product is the only scent I'm including in my Ride or Die post because I'm not a huge fan of traditional, alcohol-based perfumes. Bath and Body Works' Fine Fragrance Mists, on the other hand, are light and not-too-concentrated - the perfect affordable scents for everyday wear! Though I have many favorites from Bath and Body Works, I chose the Beautiful Day spray because I've simply never gotten that type of reaction from any perfume I've worn before. I actually first caught on to the magic of this scent from a friend at BU - fully expecting her to tell me it was some expensive designer perfume, I asked her about the amazing scent she was wearing and she turned me on to Beautiful Day! Then, when Ryan fell head-over-heels with this scent in-store, I knew I just had to have it. Currently, I'm using a different fine fragrance mist from them; however, I have Beautiful Day-scented cream body wash right now and I'm absolutely in love! This clean, floral scent will leave you smelling fresh without leaving a cloud of perfume behind wherever you go. I promise: you and your special someone will both go crazy for the incredible smell! Get it for $14.00 from Bath and Body Works.




Want more makeup and beauty from Haley Marie? Sign up for my newsletter!

* indicates required