Sunday, December 31, 2017

My Goals for 2018



3...2...1...Happy New Year, beautiful! Well, almost - not quite yet ;)

Since it's New Year's Eve and all, I thought I would pop in to make my weekly post on my personal goals for 2018. I know as a fellow ambitious babe, I love seeing what other people are aspiring to so I can get ideas for my own personal routine. So, I decided to type out all my goals for 2018 and how I plan to achieve them into this handy blog post - after all, writing goals down makes you 10 times more likely to succeed!

With 2018 coming up so quickly, I also want to know: what are your goals for the New Year? Where are you striving to improve and what are you planning to do to get there? Let me know in the comments below or @haleymarieblog on social media for the chance to be featured on HMB!

Now, without further ado, here are all the wild, wonderful goals I plan to achieve in good ol' 2018:

Dry Brushing

Why?

We all want beautiful, healthy skin and a detox-free bod - and that's exactly what dry-brushing can do for you. Dry-brushing stimulates your lymphatic system and helps boost cell-turnover, so you'll get smooth, glowing skin in no time. Not to mention that it's great for cellulite and for stress relief....

How I'm Going to Do It:

  • Buy a dry brush on Amazon - you can get them for less than $4! 
  • Dry brush before every shower.
  • Brush upwards to stimulate lymphatic flow.

The Five-Minute Journal

Why?

I love to journal, but sometimes I'm just too tired to write a full entry. That's when I came across the Five Minute Journal app, which prompts you to jot down bullet points every morning to set the tone for an amazing day. The practice includes both gratitude and goal-setting for the day ahead - two habits proven to make you happier and healthier over time! 

How I'm Going to Do It:

  • Buy the Five Minute Journal app.
  • Write a journal entry when I'm laying in bed (instead of playing games!).
  • Reflect at the end of the day with a nightly entry.

Running

Why?

I used to run two to three days a week before I sprained my left ankle. I've been in physical therapy ever since - and now that my ankle is finally healed enough, I want to start running again so I can eventually train for my first 10K, half-marathon and marathon.

How I'm Going to Do It:

  • Save up for a pair of new running shoes.
  • Use my Fitbit to motivate me to run.
  • Schedule running in my planner 2-3 times per week.
  • Register for a 5K race!

Weekly Financial Review

Why?

Looking at your bills each week, no matter how bad the damage, is a healthy habit to get into. You can learn so much about your spending patterns and what expenses can be cut out simply by reviewing your bank statements. But, if you're anything like me, you probably avoid doing this because you don't want to feel guilty about how much you spent - which is the wrong attitude! In 2018, it's time to lose the attitude of shame and gain an attitude of self-improvement, amirite?

How I'm Going to Do It:

  • Make it part of my Sunday self-care ritual.
  • Sit down with a hot tea (or wine....), some Netflix and my bank statements.
  • Highlight expenses that can be cut.

Studying Ahead of Time

Why?

In 2017, I became obsessed with my studyblr (check me out at haleymariestudies!). Not only are studyblrs gorgeous places for study inspo, but they're also incredibly helpful resources that have taught me a lot about the right way to study. I've learned that it's important to start studying as soon as you get the material so you're not overwhelmed when exam time rolls around - which is exactly what I plan to do in 2018.

How I'm Going to Do It:

  • Stock up on adorable stationary at sites like Mochithings and Amazon.
  • Make a habit of re-writing my notes and/or making flashcards right after class.
  • Set aside an hour before bed every night to review the most difficult concepts.

Becoming a Minimalist

Why?

Like most of us, I have altogether too much stuff - and what's worse, half of my lifestyle seems to be focused on acquiring new stuff! As much as I love my beauty and fashion products, I want to cut back and start living a less material life. I would rather spend my money where it counts - or better yet, save it for traveling and new experiences after graduation.

How I'm Going to Do It:

  • Sell old items online and purchase quality (vs. quantity) items.
  • Save more, spend less.
  • Try a 30-day minimalist challenge like this one.

Cut Back on Sugar and Soy

Why?

I've had terrible PMS as long as I can remember - like, the kind that interferes with my moods and relationships to an extreme degree. This kind of PMS is called PMDD, and can often be caused by a hormonal imbalance - aka too much estrogen or too little progesterone. To combat this, I want to adopt a healthier diet, freeing myself of the phytoestrogens in soy and the dangers of sugary drinks!

How I'm Going to Do It:

  • Stop adding flavored syrups to my Starbucks order - a plain latte is good enough for me! 
  • Drink almond and coconut milk instead of soy.
  • Eat lean meats and fish instead of tofu and fake meats.

Read a Book a Week

Why?

I wish I read more, but I often complain that I don't have enough time. At the same time, however, I can somehow binge episodes upon episodes of The Vampire Diaries in a matter of days....hmm! That's why in 2018, I want to try to read a book a week: both to cut down on my TV-watching habit and to tackle more on my long reading list.

How I'm Going to Do It:

  • Use my Goodreads account to start a reading list.
  • Borrow more books from my local library.
  • Take my Kindle with me on the subway.

Learn Acoustic Guitar

Why?

Honestly, this is one of those oddball goals I want to achieve for no reason other than that it would make me sublimely happy! I want to learn to play some of my favorite country songs by my fave artists, such as Carly Pearce and Luke Combs.

How I'm Going to Do It:

  • Trade in my old electric for an acoustic guitar.
  • Use apps to learn how to play different chords.
  • Learn a new song every week or so by looking up the tabs.

What's your number one goal for 2018? LMK in the comments below or @haleymarieblog on social media!